Friday, June 8, 2012

Book Review: Daddies Do It Different by Alan Sitomer







Illustrated by: Abby Carter
Published by: Disney Hyperion
Released on: April 17th, 2012
Source: unbound book from publisher to review
Ages: 4 & up
4 stars: I Really Enjoyed It
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Daddy sure doesn't do things the way Mommy does Just in time for Father's Day, this hilarious picture book takes a high-spirited look at the way dads put their own spin on different parts of a child's life--from going to a birthday party to bathtime. Alan Sitomer's debut picture book is inspired by his own experiences as a father and winningly complemented with delightful art by Abby Carter -quoted from Goodreads

Daddies do it Different is a fun, delightful story about the things Moms and Dads do different. Told through the eyes of a young girl, this story got plenty of laughs from my kids and I as we read about some of the things this little girl's parent's do. From the way breakfast is prepared, to bath time, play time and bed time, I liked how Alan was able to show the differences in the way parents do things, and how this story illustrated those differences. I loved that this story embraced the differences in how parents do things, and how much fun that can be for their kids. Not everything in this story rang true in our home, but it's over all message did. To be honest, this story definitely reminded me of the things my parents did differently and some of the differences my kids experience now. I love that like the little girl in this story, my kids get to enjoy the differences of how my husband and I do things. 

I will say there are times when I am the one who does things in a more fun way than my husband, or there's times he does things in a sillier way than me. That's okay, I love that we can balance out the way we parent and raise our children. I got why he showed the mom in the manner he did, because I sometimes find myself in that position, and I have to remind myself to step back and just play and have fun. I also appreciated the comical side to parenting that Alan included in his story. Being a parent is serious, and it's a huge responsibility, but with it also comes those fun moments when you can act silly and enjoy making memories with your kids. I felt some of Alan's message from his book was just that. The end of the story ends on a note that rings true about one of the things that Moms and Dads do the same. 


Don't miss my interview with author Alan Sitomer and enter to win a signed copy of his book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~ Anna Quindlen

Good children's literature appeals not only to
the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child.
~ Anonymous ~